View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 17:50   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have Kubuntu 12.04 running on an ASUS EEEpc 1201n. It runs fine, though this machine does have a NVIDIA video adapter.

I think one of the biggest hurdles people have coming from Windows to Linux is not the desktop (KDE looks very Windows-like), but understanding how software distribution in the Linux world works. The concept of central repositories with thousands of pre-tested programs is quite alien to the Windows world of third-party companies and downloading programs from random web sites. Things like App Stores have made this concept less alien to users in general, but it's still a very different approach to software distribution than the model used for Windows.
Linux's model is really so much better. I love how centralized and easy it all is. Once you've got all your repos added to synaptic it's easy as pie to keep everything updated--the update manager will simply check to see if new versions are released and notify you when they are.

Windows is annoying in that keeping programs updated often involves allowing them permissions to check for updates themselves instead of a centralized system utility doing it, not to mention the gigantic clusterfuck of a mess that is the registry...