Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-31, 16:35   Link #1954
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's interesting what different points of view we have, despite all having enjoyed this show to the end. The sign of a well-written story, as Guardian Enzo says in his blog post.

I ended up liking the Shiki more than the humans, but that doesn't mean I'm talking about "moral equivalence." The shiki -- particularly the core group -- did all the evil until the humans started losing it and killing a few suspected collaborators. Both groups did bad things, but the shiki did a lot more of them.

But I don't care about the morality. This is not some moralistic little anime for kids; this is actually a show with some depth to it. Moral judgment and artistic judgment are not the same thing. Not that some simple things don't affect our enjoyment: I do have prejudices in favor of both Yuuki Aoi and priests, and against violent and self-righteous middle-aged men, lol.

Personally, I find Seishin fascinating and deep. The difficulty of really grasping the nature and depth of his pain makes him even more fascinating. It really was as if he and Sunako were inhabiting a strange other world, drawn together by their personal histories and their intellects.

Pacing problems? Not in my opinion. You slowly wind up the spring, then you let all that energy free and it rushes toward the conclusion. Like a Greek tragedy, as Guardian Enzo wrote in his blog. If this were a long novel, we could tie up every character's past and future, but that is neither possible nor necessary here. The little puppet-mistress, for example, has played her role and we don't need to know how and when she was turned or how she died.

But despite many differences of opinion with Guardian Enzo and others (not least the fact that I am still unable to see Cross Game as anything other than shallow and slow -- I'll keep trying) I completely agree with him on his choices as the top two shows of the year: House of Five Leaves and Shiki.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote