View Single Post
Old 2008-07-07, 13:39   Link #33
rg4619

Quote:
This kind of market is not really popular nowadays still, most of us prefer an original game copy with hardcover, box and printings.
With the casual, indy, and even mainstream game markets, digital distribution is picking up fast (due to user convenience and larger profit margins; some niche publishers like Koei are digital only in North America), with packaged games losing more ground every year. The console market is also expected to take the leap, although I think most mainstream publishers want to offer both digital and retail options.

The idea of downloading isn't crazy. There's a sizable market for it. However, those with an otaku mindset (probably most of the potential customers) might be opposed since collectible merchandise is a big part of their fandom.

Quote:
But virtual copies? I'm not sure about this. I DESPISE DRM with a passion, as time and time again it's hardly a deterrent to would be pirates (in fact, a lot see it as a challenge or a puzzle to crack) and only a nuisance to legal consumers.
Well, the most important point is that they're selling provisional licenses rather than long-term ones. Basically, the system is designed to give customers enough time to clear the game they've purchased (with two re-activations in case of hardware failure or an emergency OS reinstall, in the weeks/months following purchase), which is all they're concerned about.

Most gamers are accustomed to long-term, future-proof licenses (many even transferable, in the case of packaged software), where you have a disc for re-installation five years down the road or an online service that allows you to reactivate on new computers. With MangaGamer, I think a purchase can be compared to paid online streaming (or maybe old movie ticket rules, where customers were allowed to watch repeat showings as long as they remained inside the theater), but without a stringent time limit since visual novels can get lengthy.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote