View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 05:25   Link #86
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Nisemonogatari is just much too slow compared to Bake. The format of short mini arcs in Bake actually worked much more to its benefit than the elongated one we just saw in Nise.
I disagree. Many manga start with small arcs then after a while they switch to bigger arcs. This is the same. It was time for Bakemonogatari to switch to longer arcs.

Then again, talking about it in terms of manga may not be fitting. For whatever the reason, the novels started having over 300 pages each. You have to just get used to it, this is the rhythm of a LN adaptation (a decently written LN, at least). It is the same for Mouretsu Pirates for example. Truth to be told, I used to watch old anime, so I fail to see this kind of rhythm as slow. I think movies should provide better adaptation than TV series though.
Quote:
Part of the problem is that towards the end of Bake the cast was already getting a bit inflated and Nise decides they want to keep even more characters in picture now (Shinobu and Araragi's sisters). It's spreading its character development much too thin around the board now with too many people to give attention to.
Shinobu and Araragi's sisters were already in the picture from the start. And Bakemonogatari as a story had a point of introducing a character with a story dedicated to her in each new arc. Then again, the series wasn't supposed to last long, so this principle worked fine. Don't watch Nisemonogatari thinking there are sequels, imagine this is the last you'll see of the series. This is how it was written at the time. Tsukihi Phoenix was once announced as the last book.

And I think the story about spreading chara development too thin is misguided. There is a limit to the chara development a chara can receive. Once a character has fully developed, it must be cut.
Quote:
At least I hear that "supposedly" nise is considered the worst. Hopefully it does not continue to devolve in future seasons.
That's just an opinion.

If we deduct your personal view on the length of the arc, Karen Bee has objective merits. 1) a valid human antagonist 2) non linear storytelling 3) juggles all the characters in the series (which for me is a merit)

I repeat, I personally rank Nise better than Bake.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote