View Single Post
Old 2011-08-27, 02:48   Link #23917
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
There's nothing wrong with this viewpoint at all. My personal belief is that Ryuukishi intended this to be a valid interpretation, while also having a "single fragment" interpretation be valid at the same time. You could even say it's a cat box with both possibilities existing at once, like how the events of Rokkenjima can be both fantasy and mystery at the same time. However, like the mystery elements of the individual episodes, the "single fragment" interpretation requires actual solving, which is why it gets so much of my attention.

But I'll repeat: What you describe is a completely valid and intended interpretation of Umineko.
I don't think you know that, nor can you say that. Ryukishi may have intended that. He may not. The story runs up against uncountable thematic problems if that interpretation is true, however, which makes it seem unlikely that he did intend that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Umineko is a mystery novel with fantasy conceits. Just because they aren't mentioned doesn't mean it's not there, and their being there doesn't make the stories non-Mystery.
Having said that, we don't know whether the Hachijou mysteries do contain fantastic elements. It's also possible he writes other books that aren't Rokkenjima-related and that those have no fantasy elements. Not a whole lot to say about the corpus of his work since we largely have no idea what it's like.

However, there's nothing that would exclude it from his works, at the least.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote