View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 18:12   Link #655
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Because that's how history goes.

Here is the background:

Nagamasa comes to power pretty much due to his battle prowess, having won a few battles with Azai clan in disadvantage. He earned support of his retainers and pretty much forced his father into retirement (but not exile).

At same time, Azai and Asakura has been long-time alliance since Nagamasa's grandfather's time, since then all Azai alliances had a clause that prevents their allies to go into war with Asakura clan. That same clause was included with the Oda alliance.

In addition, his marriage with Oichi was controversial as well due to the divide between his retainers on the Oda alliance.

Nobunaga however, attacked Asakura without informing Azai after Asakura's head, Asakura Yoshikage, refused various summon orders from the court. As result Azai is caught in the middle of it.

Here is what history got a bit fuzzy:

One saying is that Nagamasa simply held a meeting and in the end decide to honor the Asakura alliance over Oda alliance.

Another saying was that Asakura's father, wanting to regain his power, got the retainer's support (most retainers are pro-Asakura over Oda) and forced Nagamasa to make that decision or face exile.

Some even think that Ashikaga Yoshiaki, the Shogun Nobunaga supported and helped, had a hand in it because he was afraid of Oda's continuing influence over the court. Either way, after the Retreat from Kanegasaki, Ashikaga Shogun officially got involved and established the first Anti-Nobunaga Coalition (Nobunaga Hōimō).

EDIT:

Damn, a whole page of post before I was finishing this one.

Well, anyway, as far as I know Chinese fan-translation is up to V7, Chapter 3. And Sumeragi already spoiled it, it's basically an Oichi party...
Like I said, probably the closest thing to evil in the world is politics.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote