View Single Post
Old 2007-03-14, 16:27   Link #61
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Great stuff from rooboy. The term used in the Japanese on Video Research's site is a transliteration of "people meter," so I would be surprised if it was not exactly the same device as Nielsen uses. And the site does talk about measuring people as well as households, so I think people may log in in some way, too. So that would suggest that PVR'd shows are at least discounted in the ratings because an individual did not log in at the time they were on, or even not counted at all.

I didn't notice the VR site talking about ratings not equaling popularity, but for some reason it kept repeating that ratings do not equal quality. Duh.

And I like Destinyblade's point that most people seem to like "reality" (spurious as it may often be) in their shows, and anime deals a lot in fantasy. In fact, I myself don't think anime does reality very well, although others differ. NANA is the best fairly realistic show I can think of. The gritty mystery/adventure shows tend to fall flat for me. (Moonlight Mile is shaping up as an exception, by the way.)

And I also appreciate solomon's point that a lot of anime sticks in the otaku mold. I think SHnY and Simoun are great shows, but the first clearly uses a lot of otaku referents, and the second has yuri surface elements that put off a lot of anime-watchers, to say nothing of the general public.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-14 at 16:40.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote