View Single Post
Old 2009-09-24, 01:35   Link #1978
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, if I understand your position.. you're pretty much a Deist? One who thinks the game was initiated by an entity but left to its own devices afterwards as the balls cascade through probability? This particular universe seems driven to produce eddies of complexity where it seems driven to produce the conditions for life. So even if it was an initial "configuration and lever throw", the odds seem highly stacked for life and ergo - us.
Nope, I already told you, I'm a theist, (specifically) a Muslim. I believe that God still controls us from time to time depending on his will but I also believe that we are given the ability to choose. It's ironic, but I disagree with general extremity. I believe in moderation and controls/limitations. I'm obviously against terrorism and violence...but I don't deny rebellion---there will be times when they're needed. The main difference between us is that I mostly connect religion/beliefs to society while you connect it to science. Though my religion does support science...as sometimes it "luckily" provides religious evidence.

If your a deist, have you ever thought where God went? Did he just started relaxing somewhere? IMO, w/o God's continuing concentration, (a no-absence) the universe will cease to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyus View Post
We pass our traits and features to our children. Isnt that visible enough? and I have not and please enlighten me about this "non-existence".
If its not me, Its not me....(that is my apprehension). Its like one thing can't exist at different locations at the same time. "Non-existence" is itself....w/o existence...(don't look at me for answers, I'm still thinking about it. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
@Cipher

Nonexistence is not a truly conceivable concept by us. We know the meaning, but you cannot visualize it or comprehend it, because then you'd give it form and thus it is no longer "nonexistence" as it has now become something. I posted this a page or two ago in responding to TRL's challenge...
If you put it literally, yeah...but I'm just talking about... a "no-life".
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote