View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 15:35   Link #1210
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But a lot of preference is personal preference, based on which kinds of characters and tropes one likes, and objectivity is hard to find.
This is spot on. Since I've been personally called out as someone who was bashing Guilty Crown, I'm forced to comment a bit. Here's why I don't find this show interesting:

1. The main characters power. I simply do not find the notion of people turning into or becoming hammerspace storage for weapons appealing. This is largely because the person who becomes or holds the weapon often becomes less of a person and more of a thing to be used. Characterization tends to fail when this type of "power" is used, in my opinion.

2. The characters, so far, are not remarkable. How many stories have we seen with a male lead that is in school, not terribly popular, a bit of a recluse, has some emotional hangup, and just so happens to be in the right place at the right time and given some kind of incredible change in destiny? How many heroines have we seen that start out interesting and become sidelined as a "prop" that tags along with the male lead? How many stories have these two getting together romantically in some fated way? How many cool rebel leaders that kick ass, or obviously psychotic evil villains? Granted...it's only a few episodes, but there's barely any hint of something deeper with these characters.

3. The setting is pretty realistic, but the realism ends with the scenery. Where do you hide giant mechs in a city controlled by a massive occupation force? How does a lone girl get into, and steal from, a supposedly high security facility that contains a highly important object? Why would you enroll into a school and use your real name if you're a wanted terrorist? Can these things be explained later? Sure. But why not just show us rather than tell us?

4. Fanservice. Mechs. Idol Singer. Technology so awesome it's magic. I feel like I've seen all of these (and more) elements before.

These and a few other elements have put me off from enjoying the show, or at the very least, taking it as seriously as the initial premise suggested I should. Sometimes I can tolerate these elements, by themselves or together even....but in this particular package I don't find them appealing in the slightest.

You can either go for a universe that is plausibly realistic and highly philosophical/mentally engaging (like Ghost in the Shell), or you can embrace the fantasy and the over the top antics, and ditch the realism (like Mai Otome). Trying to do both won't do service to either. I'm sure someone will quote this and disagree, but I'm just stating my opinion. Above all else, a story has to feel plausible given the setting it establishes. I don't feel like this show delivers that, so far. All I feel like I'm seeing here is one trope/cliche after another with no attempt at convincing the audience that it could happen if you just believed. In short, I don't feel any suspension of disbelief while I'm watching.

Love, hate, or indifference, it's all opinion. But we're all entitled to those opinions. You can choose to ignore or discuss those opinions. They're as relevant as you want them to be. Just post with some tact and respect. If you can't manage that, don't expect to get a free pass.