View Single Post
Old 2008-10-11, 20:40   Link #55
ElldenStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkprimus View Post
Well it's not limitless, it's infinite. There is a difference. The GN Drive can only produce so much energy at any given time, but it can continue to produce that amount of energy forever, making it into a sort of perpetual motion machine.

GN Drives are described as harnessing "photon and positron discharges of the non-evaporative decay of baryonic matter as an energy source." Baryonic matter is essentially all matter that we know of (anything made from protons and neutrons). Since they specifically say that they get photons and positrons from the decay that means it's Proton Decay. Protons take a long time to decay though, longer than the Universe has been around, so it must be some catalyzed reaction. How on Earth they are doing it so quickly I don't know, that's probably the secret of the GN Drive and GN particle production.

I honestly don't know where they can say non-evaporative decay though since that (as I understand it) would mean whatever they decompose in the GN Drive can be continually recycled for producing more energy. This completely violates the Law of Conservation of Energy. How I prefer to imagine a GN Drives functionality is a perpetual motion machine of the second type, one that violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics. We know this happens since the GN Drive generates no heat in its reaction process, meaning it's 100% efficient and since the process should work with any baryonic matter the GN Drives are continually refueling just by flying and scooping up molecules in the air.

As far as the GN Drive[t] goes with it's lack of a TD Blanket and finite operation time, it's probably that sans-purification the GN particles damage the reactor/reactor process to the extent that the decay is no longer non-evaporative. That means they are actually burning through their fuel instead of continually recycling it like the 5 genuine GN Drives.
EXCELLENT! Wonderful thoughts in your post, Mate! I can see you're thinking critically about this, just as I have been! And I think you just dropped one of the loose thoughts in my mind into place in explaining the GN Process!

Quote:
Since they specifically say that they get photons and positrons from the decay that means it's Proton Decay. Protons take a long time to decay though, longer than the Universe has been around, so it must be some catalyzed reaction.
They call them Solar Furnaces... Yet the process that's been described isn't reliant upon Solar Radiation... Could the catalyst you and I obviously suspect has to exist to accelerate the decay, be comming from focused Solar Radiation inside the Furnace?

And as for the non-evaporative decay statement. I hadn't ever really given any consideration to the importance in understanding that single word... Though, as you point out, the GN Alpha Drives bypass the law of Conservation of Energy / Matter. I'd have to think though, however, that the TD Blanket is the component that allows this reality bending, process to take place. Whatever it is and however it does what it does, it's implicated as a peice of Quantum Engineering, which could infinitely recycle the matter into a usable state for the GN reaction.
ElldenStorm is offline   Reply With Quote