View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 17:02   Link #36
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
On GMOs, I think people are too quick to condemn them. Some things to bear in mind:
Being neutral in the entire debate, I was only replying to what the diminishing returns might be. However.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
3. A possibility, but to be honest, I don't see how GMOs are any more dangerous then a new crop bred using standard methods. If anything, in the long run it will be safer, as Genetic Modification is a lot easier to control then plant breeding. With plant breeding it's basically a lottery, with GM we can pick and choose exactly what we want. So we can take infuse our grain with the property of another plant that allows it to resist wheat rust, without risking accidentally taking it's property to cause people to break out in random rashes...
Genetic modification is actually even harder than plant breeding, with the large amount of possible things to go wrong given we still do not have the complete information of how different genetics work. Basically, GMO is about as safe as regular breeding, taking both the best and worst cases together.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote