View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 03:06   Link #2253
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I understand that this is a matter human instinct. But perhaps there are those, within a hunter-gatherer society, that do not "believe" in survivability. Ludicrous, it seems yeah? But still...
Unfortunately, if you do not believe in survivability, then you are dead. In a hunter-gatherer society, those who do not work do not reap the benefits of that work.

I recall a documentary I saw a few years ago, on a pack of hyenas being tracked by a team of scientists. This particular pack was not so large, a mere 4 animals. One of them, a female, had asserted dominance over the rest. She would be vicious and harmful to the other three. When they would go out hunting, she would sit in the background, waiting for the others to bring back the catch. Upon returning, she would scare the other three away until she had eaten her fill, then leave the scraps for them. This went on for about two weeks, until the other 3 hyenas revolted, practically killed the aggressive female, and left her to die. Those three headed off to join another pack of hyenas, while the aggressive female was left alone with no way to defend herself, or perpetuate her survival (she had massive external injuries, and sufficient internal bleeding to eventually cause her death). She did no work, she was inevitably excluded from the reward.

So it goes with a hunter-gatherer society. You don't want to survive, fine. You don't get to have any of the necessities that would be required to continue your survival. Belief, again, does not factor in to it.