View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 06:22   Link #58
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
As for what happened in SAO...I'd say PKers are responsible of the deaths of those they murder, and not necessarily Kayaba. Though I see how it would be difficult to impossible in bringing them to justice. Unless there is a physical evidence like a data in the servers recording the players or event logs.
The PKers would indeed be responsible for those whom they killed. In fact, unless it's clear self-defense (the ability or lack thereof to prove same is another issue). All PK should be treated as premeditated (because PK seems to require planning to some degree or another), especially sleep PK; and an insanity plea would be as difficult to prove as self-defense.

PK typically takes two forms, based on my experience with MMOs. Either consensual (dueling) or non-consensual. In the former case, you have to actively seek out an opponent. This can either be any location or specified locations (arenas). Non-consensual usually involves "flagging up" or actively switching to a mode that allows you to attack (and be attacked by) other players. Both are obviously premeditated....