View Single Post
Old 2007-10-21, 02:16   Link #9
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Sure, there are some pretty major groups that have imploded, usually splitting off into several smaller groups (Ryoumi being one of the latest examples), but a lot of the time, when groups die because of members drifting away - it can be quite likely for them to reform.
Let me clarify about the downfall of one of the groups you mentioned here, Ryoumi Subs, where I was part of the leadership for that group. The group started off with two projects, Chocotto Sister and Tonagura, during the summer of 2006 - all working out quite nicely. Later on, Sky Girls OVA and Hanoka were added to the group's projects list. And with those two projects, the group's progress was slowing down, but she survived.

The downfall all began when the founder added a couple of projects in the fall season of 2006 only because he acquired some shaky translators to work on. Those projects included: Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~ and Sumomomo Momomo. Needless to say, I suggested him to drop one of the projects, because I noticed that the staff couldn't handle more than 4 series at a time. Hence, we dropped Sumomomo Momomo shortly after episode one was merely translated. The group was functioning so-so with Tokimeki Memorial episodes being only one or two episodes behind the broadcast.

However, in Janary/Feburary of 2007, the founder happened to add three more projects - Manabi Straight, Saint October, and Venus Vs Virus - and one joint project - Tokyo Majin Kenpuchou Tou - to the group, since he acquired a few more shaky translators to work on. This was really when the downfall all began. Even though the joint project was dropped due to the lack of motivation in the partnered group, Ryoumi wasn't able to complete any episodes in a timely manner. I was extremely displeased by this action, but since he already hired and assigned all of the staff, there was nothing much I could do, knowing that he wouldn't listen to me at all. I ended up working on all of the series, which included around 6 projects at a time - all typesetting; he was the timer to all.

In spring of 2007, I had decided to fold up the group after learning that the founder had opened a new group (Anime-Yoshi) for the sake of 'fun' in order to do one more project (Kaze no Stigma), as it showed how little he cared about the people, who were working on the series he added. Judging from the previous experience with him, I see him attempted to add around 5-6 projects to his new group, hence slowing down the overall progress of his new group. Another downfall?

---

Last but not least, never follow a leader who's too selfish to even concern how much his/her group can do, especially when (s)he's not paying you. The downfall can begin when the leaders are incompetent, are too selfish, are not willing to listen, and/or leave the group. Yes, maybe I am incompetent, as I wasn't able to lead the group well. I think it's a smart choice for me to disband Ryoumi, as there's no point continuing with any of the "leftovers." I don't wish to spend my time fully in leading that group to survival, especially when I have so little interests in the projects he added. I have better things to do.

---

I hope this clears up about this specific downfall.

Last edited by pichu; 2007-10-21 at 03:00.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote