View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 01:16   Link #1
JediNight
キズランダム

Crowdsourcing Manga Importing?

I've just been kicking around an idea in my head that I wonder if people might give some feedback on what they think:

"Crowdsourcing" manga importing to drive support for your favorite titles. Thereby having a real voice in seeing serialization continue, rather than waiting years and seeing it cancelled without being able to show support the Japanese publishers notice.

What I mean by that:
Come up with some minimum order size (say 50 copies?) that would allow the most efficient shipping costs from Japan to the US. Each person would pledge their money, and once the unit minimum was reached, the bulk order would be placed. Then each individual copy/order could be sent on via USPS periodical post or w/e was the cheapest safe way to ship copies.

Originally I was thinking of that for a specific scanlated title to be a booster for it. But the idea would probably work just as well placing a bulk order for ANY combination of 50 copies of manga (assuming they were all available from the same distributor in Japan). Even better if arrangements could be made to get it directly from the publisher or distributor in Japan instead of through bk1, etc.

What do you think?