View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 23:50   Link #1072
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Yes I was thinking of a smaller Big Bang, though is it possible for it to first collapse, then erupt? Or should it just blow up right away? Do pardon me, I take Biology and only have basic physics, and never reached relativity.
The problem with trying to say "this is likely to happen" or "that is impossible" is that we don't know what sort of physics we're dealing with in the first place.

In fact, it's still entirely wild speculation that interdimensional space is nothing like our more familiar realspace. I just find it incredibly unlikely that interdimensional space follows all the rules we have in realspace, and if you change one physical attribute, plenty of other things follow suit. We already know that there's some sort of magic holding TSAB Main HQ together, since they at least have artificial gravity.

Now, my gut reaction is that if realspace is more "substantial" than interdimensional space (nature abhors a vacuum, etc), then if the constraints and limits are suddenly removed for whatever reason, then realspace will expand rapidly to fill the gaps. This can range from "this area used to be one meter square, now it's five" to all sorts of weirdness happening, as realspace "boils" in the "vacuum" of interdimensional space.

However, we don't know this. Realspace could instead collapse and contract; in our realspace, anything that shrinks in volume but retains its mass eventually turns into a black hole or analogue, since we've got our gravitational laws. In interdimensional space, those gravitational laws may not be present.

I don't even know whether lightspeed is the same in interdimensional space; the background looks rather psychadelic, so an argument could be made that this is the result of the human brain trying to make sense of utterly different physical laws without going insane.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote