View Single Post
Old 2011-05-13, 11:44   Link #68
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
They should have just decreased the number of characters, no? Or skip Madoka's longwinded ramblings throughout the whole series or focus less on Sayaka jumping up and down 4 episodes long.

I personally like 12 episode shows; forces the producers to cut the chase, take out all the mundane stuff, to go on with the plot/character development. Of course things can also go horribly wrong when producers have a too long/complicated plot or too many characters in mind. *cough*Angel Beats!*cough*
Angel Beats had two or even three times as many characters as Madoka, and in the latter case, one died pretty quickly, meaning we only had four true main characters to deal with. How many more would you have found necessary to remove?

In theory, the small number of characters in Madoka could have resulted in a lot of character development, but this isn't a character-driven anime, but a story-driven one, and given the number of episodes, either the story or the character development had to take a step back. Considering a lot of people would probably complain more if the story ended up being torn to pieces, I think they did well in doing it like this. If they want to flesh out the characters more, they can use the manga for it, or that slice of life sequel that Shinbou wants, or even both (should the latter get green-lit).

For the most part, I think we can deduct our own conclusions for the characters, but there will always be something we can't figure out without outside help.