View Single Post
Old 2011-04-14, 21:09   Link #116
sople

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
@Sople, Deen are not terrible, but everything you point that they've made that's in any way good (like Tsuikohen) was made over 10 years ago..
I would call Simoun and MariMite more than just "in any way good". My main issue was people judging the studio based on a few works alone such as F/SN or When They Cry (on the grounds that they were their major works which is completely false) which seems to be the case.

More importantly is the fact that studios can't be inherently better or worse than others. Staff changes. Directors don't belong to any studio. They go all over the place. Budgets can vary by orders of magnitude. Everything is circumstantial. Smaller studios tend to be more consistent in their work, but is it the studios fault they were hired to do some generic adaptation with a small budget? If they needed the project to avoid going bankrupt then that's all there is to it. I think a lot of the studios that are able to pour more money into their own works were studios that had a big hit early on. It's a shame DEEN didn't have such a financial hit if that's the reason they have to stay with such a bad business model and they had some works that deserve it. All studios can produce great works when they actually want to. Look what happened when J.C. Staff picked up Aoi Hana because they liked the source. It just comes down to whether they have the cash on hand to back it up, and DEEN almost never does.
sople is offline   Reply With Quote