View Single Post
Old 2009-09-05, 13:02   Link #50
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Replace the word anime with television in your argument, then see how many people give up TV after 30 years. TV and anime are really no different, they're just mediums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If we're talking about mainstream American television, then you can count me among those people who given up on it. I'd say the last network television shows that I watched with any compelling interest were Homicide: Life on the Street, Picket Fences, and reruns of Thirtysomething (at 3am while feeding the baby). You'll notice that none of these were telecast in the past decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Actually, I know quite a few people who don't own a TV set anymore these days. And it's not because they now simply use their computers in the same way instead.
Count me among those who haven't watched much TV in recent years. Actually, in quite a number of years, since at least as far back as when I was an undergraduate who was too cheap to buy a TV for his dorm room (between 1996 and 2000).

Slightly off-topic, but the above comments aroused my curiosity. Which makes me wonder, how many people still get their news from TV today? Or has that become a mainly online activity? Certainly, with the advent of RSS feeds, information gathering has become a far more customisable affair.

Back on-topic, anime will remain a hobby for only as long as studios produce content that interests me, an ageing geek who is losing interest in the bulk of shounen/shoujo programmes cranked out every season. However, given the kind of advertising that the industry typically draws, I don't expect that trend to change. So, anime is likely to become an increasingly niche hobby, for me, as time goes on.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote