View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 16:51   Link #178
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
For someone whose complaining about other people speculating, you're doing quite a bit of it yourself. Touma outlined ONE specific kind of of outlier individual who the Sibyl system desires, Asymptomatic latent criminals, and we only have evidence of one possible selection process for how they find such individuals.

You're the one postulating that the Sibyl collective recruits other types of individuals significantly different than Makishima, despite there being no direct evidence for that hypothesis. It hardly seems in line with what Touma outlines as the #1 requirement even before mentioning Asyptomatic criminals.
I am speculating, but upon the given information we have. You keep asserting something as fact that isn't confirmed so far for your speculation. That's what I was disagreeing with. Yeah, given your assumption that the system is comprised entirely of psychopathic people, then you are not so wrong. I am just disagreeing with this assumption. I prefer to speculate otherwise, because then I think the story just falls apart under your assumption. Granted you may be right in the end, and it's indeed possible, but that will just lower the value of this series for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The last bit sounds ALLOT like a sociopath. And if you had traits like that and DIDN'T happen to be a criminally asymptomatic individual...well have fun getting gibbed by an enforcer, or drugged out of your gills in a medical prison.

The only person who can get away with having these kinda traits under the Sibyl system is a criminally asymptomatic individual...and the only way to diagnose THAT is for a criminally asymptomatic individual to be caught committing violent crime with a crime coefficient under 100.
Yeah, a sociopath wouldn't aimlessly empathize with others, nor would they be lost to emotion. However, sociopaths are just this idea taken to an extreme. Notice it says "aimlessly empathize" and not be "lost to emotion." It doesn't exclude empathy, it just means that the individuals in the system have to be able to be objective.

I'm not saying you are 100% wrong, but you keep asserting something here that the show hasn't quite said itself. Personally I hope you are not right because the show will falter.