View Single Post
Old 2006-11-26, 02:12   Link #88
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@iamtetsuo

Actually, they are. I performed one for the test detailed below, a 175MB file blew up to a 390MB file after running through DivX Doctor. Big change!

@ killmoms

As ichobi pointed out, the build referenced to me is a PPC-only compile of MPlayer. The Intel-specific compile is also linked in the first post in this thread by iamtetsuo, compiled by thr. It should work fine on your Mac Pro.

@ ichobi

Sadly, that's your iBook just being a bit old, my friend. The processor more than anything, it's difficult to run h.264 video at all on a G4-based mac unless it's a 1.5Ghz or higher, unless it's a Quicktime-compatible file, and even then, it's ugly. I'm on a similar configuration here - 1.33Ghz/768MB PowerBook - and I don't tend to use h.264 encodes as it just drops too much.

Oh, and for interest's sake, I've just installed Perian 0.5 onto my aforementioned 400 Mhz G3 iMac running 10.4.8. Trialled the first episode of Kanon by SS-Eclipse as a test file in two flavours - the downloaded XviD/MP3 version, and a recompressed 3ivX file. The two files were 175MB and 389.6MB in size respectively, and are encoded at 24fps. Testing was done using both Perian 0.5, and 3ivX Delta 4.5.1.

Firstly I tried the XviD file - motion, of almost any kind, resulted in a rather obvious performance hit, taking about 5fps off the framerate. High motion scenes, such as the snow/OP themes in the first ep of Kanon, were pure murder - the scenes with snow dropped down to around 12fps, with the OP fluctuating from brief moments of 18-19fps at the high end down to 0.5fps when quick motion was present. So, despite the power of Perian, the XviD file wasn't going to be an option.

Next the 3ivX file - started off a lot better, remaining solid at 23-24fps before the first snow scene - had a drop here to around 18-19fps, which is watchable still, and nothing like the 12fps of the XviD file. Then the OP started, and the 'die G3 die' process repeated, though nowhere near as badly. Most of the OP played between 10 & 24fps, but the really fast cuts sank down to around 5fps, which I suppose is a bit better than the total stoppage the XviD experienced at these points.

Interesting result, I suppose. It seems that a new show, with fast motion is killer even in the handy old 3ivX/DivX DoctorII method. Shows with less motion, and especially less detail might fare a bit better, but for the moment it appears that the older G3-based machines aren't quite up-to-scratch in terms of fansub playback.

But then as always, your mileage may vary.

-Andiyar