View Single Post
Old 2010-02-26, 06:51   Link #2088
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I think the difference between a good battle manga and your general run of the mill battle manga is that in a good one, the battle is setup beforehand, so the readers eagerly anticipate the battle. Whereas in the run of the mill one, they introduce the characters just as the battle starts, and add some kind of flashback to make the battle feel important, which doesn't really work. I mean, we're basically just waiting for the party to fight King again, and all these battles with the random abnormals are really just stretching the arc out.
I think that's my problem with it. It's the Student Council thing all over again. Too many characters at once and not enough plot, just some random backstory for the characters. 30 chapters in and this still feels like I'm reading a prologue. I can't really care about any of the characters and it's all following the same formula of Abnormal introduced > fight starts > a few pages of backstory > fight continues for chapter > fights ends > friends are made > rinse and repeat. It's just drawing the whole thing out and has gotten a bit boring. And we've got to go through it several more times still. So, I'll come back in 30 chapters when it's all over and the plot has actually advanced at all.

I can deal with a story that doesn't rely a lot on plot, as long as it has great characters (like the game Mass Effect 2), but the characters here are still just too shallow. Hard to give them much depth when you introduced a ton of them all at once.