View Single Post
Old 2006-01-03, 14:07   Link #184
Moon Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Which is where I call bullshit. For one thing, what does it mean to "excel at your work"? For another - what makes you say those qualitites the elites have in common (if there are any) are determined by genes?

To take a trivial example - there is no "speak Chinese" gene. And yet more than one billion people speak it. If I'm going to hire someone and need him to speak Chinese, I won't give a damn about his genetic background. I'll want assurances he can speak Chinese, and has already done so, if only in school.

Is that a fact? I thought it was done so they could have a child at all. Fertility was a bit of a problem.

Yes, and how are you going to control the environment enough? If it takes a hundred people to "build" one, you don't exactly have a winner of a society.
Excelling at something though relative in the eye of beholder as you put it can be made definitative through basic consensus of people's opinions or public mandate. Just like words are words, you but can give definition to terms. Love is a relative term, yet you can define it in a dictionary. People either agree with the definition or are forced to accept it as a norm.

As for the "Chinese Language" gene. While true, there is no specific gene that allows you to automatically know chinese. There are genes characteristics that allow people to understand, learn, utilize, formulize and process languages better than others.

Control of society is "easy" through government institutions which a form of systems. Mankind manipulate and controls it environment even in today's standards.
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote