View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 05:53   Link #342
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi_chan View Post
I always feel like chiaki and nodame are LEAGUES more entertaining than the bit players that surround them. So yeah, I didnt feel like either cast was anything to write home about. Still they're interesting enough, I just wish soooo much time wasnt spent developing characters that are just "somewhat interesting/entertaining" to begin with.
This is one of the few problems I had with the first season, but the difference between Pari-hen and the first season is that while the first season had "supporting" characters like Mine, Masumi, Streseman and Harisen-sensei who had their roles in the story and were interesting in their own right, the second season didn't have anyone like that who stuck around for a decent amount of time. The most interesting side characters were Rui and Tanya, and neither got a super amount of development, or had as entertaining a personality as the side characters from the first season I listed. Obviously this show has always been about its two leads, and no side character really holds a candle to these two in terms of their impact on the story or entertainment value or character development. But I do think a good supporting cast makes a difference to a show. And, for mine, Nodame Cantabile had a good supporting cast, but the second season, not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
It's over. Again But at least there will be another season. I agree about the final episode being a bit underwhelming, but it didn't bother me too much. This is slice-of-life even more than Honey and Clover was, and we shouldn't expect any plot twists or the like. I still enjoyed the first season better, but when do we ever not enjoy the first seasons better?
There are a few examples. ARIA and Full Metal Panic immediately come to mind. Honey and Clover as well, some may argue. I think, in anime, if you use a sequel to really develop the characters you've established in the first season, you stand a good chance of making a sequel that has more impact than the first season. Although I'm starting to really grow sick of this trend where every popular anime franchise gets a sequel, just about. Why can't series just tell their complete story in a single two- or three-cour hit.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote