View Single Post
Old 2004-04-22, 16:39   Link #36
Briareos

Schools with metal detectors are usually in response to community concerns about the safety of the students. Maybe the neighborhood is bad, or there is a fear that illegal activity and weapons will make their way into the schools. My niece goes to a grade school (kindergarten through 6th grade) near Detroit that requires all backpacks to be mostly transparent. Locker searches are fairly regular. Schools that have had shootings (i.e. Columbine) also have metal detectors installed.

I haven't seen either of the films you've noted, but there indeed are schools out there in the US with closed campuses and metal detectors at the doors. I can't say if the films are an accurate portrayal of some school situations, but I'd guess that it totally depends on the school you're talking about. They're not all like what those films may suggest.

The original post of this topic is way too vague to respond to anyhow. It's posted by someone who is either from a country where English is not the primary language, or something is really going wrong with his/her education (depending on his/her age.) To agree or disagree with this run-on sentence, I need more information. For example, where are you from? How old are you? What specific things are wrong with school? Can you think of some things or people at school that you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei
and the most important of all... you get to have sex / party / booze.
You can do that by getting an apartment and moving out on your own. Not everyone who attends college parties and boozes up, nor has a lot of sex (although I'm sure I'm in the minority on these). I went to school to study and get a career. Social stuff was secondary. Heck, it was my wife that finally got me drinking last year (I'm 33). I'm not saying I didn't have any fun in college (well, actually I wasn't that popular), but I never saw college as a way to party (even though my first degree is from Western Michigan U -- which has a party reputation).
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote