View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 22:58   Link #244
otakujohn

Twice now in the series, it has been mentioned that talented individuals can 'destroy' those around them, but talent can just as easily be self-destructive. Being a genius isn't necessarily a blessing.
Far too often throughout history, truly brilliant people end up either falling apart psychologically, or end up dying young. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have proverbs like, "the light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long." If you want an example of what I'm talking about, look up Charlie Parker.

While Shiina Mashiro appears to be very strong when focused on her work, I can't help get the impression that she's a rather delicate girl. I would not surprise me in the slightest if she suffers some kind of emotional breakdown in the series, or in the ongoing light novels/manga.
Sorata should completely set aside any petty feelings of inadequacy and simply be a rock for her to lean on when things get hard. He's welcome to have opinions about where her time is best spent, but simple support and encouragement of her artistic searching is probably the proper path here.

She's such a sweetheart... I personally don't see why he WOULDN'T want to do everything he can for her, regardless of direction. Typical wishy-washy 'anime-guy' character, I guess.