View Single Post
Old 2014-01-22, 18:17   Link #13
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think that fansubbing as we all knew it ~10 years ago is basically already dead. There are still a few people who want to sub old/obscure anime that has never seen a license or release, but the vast majority of the focus is on new arrivals, and nearly 100% of those (easily 90%+ anyway) are licensed right out of the gate (whether for streaming, disc release, or both). I don't think there are any other active listing sites that I'm aware of on the Internet that have our site's original philosophy about licensing any more, because there simply wouldn't be enough content to list, nor the motivation for people to maintain such a list.

So... I think it's pretty safe to say that the AnimeSuki torrent listing site is essentially at end-of-life, and isn't going to be actively maintained any more due to a lack of content to list that conforms to the original philosophy/ideals. People who are looking for "fansubs" nowadays will find them on sites that make little-to-no distinction about how we used to define "licensing", and I think they'll have to define for themselves what sort of ethical policy they want to abide by in terms of the content they download. As far as this Forum goes, given the increasing obscurity of the licensing concept, our Rules are going to be shifting towards a blanket "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding downloads/streams of any kind, excepting only officially-approved/sanctioned sources. This should be much more straightforward in an environment where the vast majority of the viewers don't care at all about physical media or have any idea how or why you'd buy it.

Anyway, I guess you can consider this post to be "spoilers" for policy changes that are incoming... but I think most people probably would have seen it coming anyway. It's sad in a way, but the fact that anime is so much more accessible than it was 10 years ago really means that many of the original goals of fansubbing have largely been achieved.