View Single Post
Old 2004-05-24, 07:59   Link #141
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyro
Or maybe this is unique to this technique, but I would still classify it as a genjutsu.
Uhh, you are correct...it IS a genjutu. There is no doubt about it.

Quote:
-I think all genjutsu "worlds" (i.e. again, referring to the Tayuya's (?) genjutsu on Shika) are controlled by the user, making the mange sharingan again no different.
No. All genjutsu spells create a specific type of hypnosis, hallucination, or illusion, but none other than Tsukiyomi is completely controlled by a user's will. Tayuya's genjutsu on Shika is no different. See below for most of the genjutsu...

Quote:
-The sudden "jolt" to the body from pain is what allows you to get out of genjutsu. Pain recieved beforehand (such as your example with Kakashi) are more like "lingering" pain and would not allow you to be "immune" to genjutsu, because then genjutsu would essentially be useless would it not?
So constant stinging pain wouldn't work, either, since that would be "lingering pain"? Your intepretation does make sense, though.

Quote:
-Now it sort of gets confusing when you consider mange sharingan only lasts for 1 second. The question becomes whether they can respond fast enough to break it (if in fact pain would indeed break it). Reacting in 1 second in real time would be hard, but in the mange sharingan world time is slowed down so then the person would have had time to react, if in fact the person had planned ahead for such an event and prepared some way to inflict pain on himself. It sort of is a hole that hasn't really been fully explained about genjutsu.
Yes, we don't know whether Kakashi could've controlled his body at all while his mind is in Tsukiyomi. I'm presuming he couldn't because he was fully prepare to take it and he knew what the move was.

Quote:
-Lastly, I haven't really heard anything that really points it from not being a form of genjutsu.
Why do you even bring this up? There is no debate whether Tsukiyomi is a genjutsu or not--because it is!

Quote:
The ability to control the genjutsu and its duration point more to the potency of said jutsu rather than what type it is.
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, but are you trying to say there is only one type of genjutsu in the world: genjutsu, and as long as the user is good, he can do annnnnnny thing he wants if the genjutsu hits? ^_^;;

There have been various classified genjutsu techniques already and each serve a specific purpose, nothing more. [Hell-Viewing] (Kakashi on Sakura) draws out the targets' worst fear, [Wrong-Place] fools others into thinking they are somewhere else (Izumo and Kotetsu on examinees), [don't know name] sends everyone asleep (Kabuto on audience) and can be broken by 'kai' seal beforehand, [Absolute Darkness] creates exactly that around the target and cannot be broken by mere pain (1st Hokage on Sarutobi) , [Mist User] unleashes an army of dark mist ninja that stem from the terrain that multiplies when hit (Mubi on Team 7 and Kabuto), [Fox-in-Heart] fools the target into walking around in circle constantly (Rain Ninja on Team 7 and Kabuto), [don't know name] creates tree or terrain to make the opponents think they are immoblized (Kurenai on Itachi and Kisame), and [don't know name] slowly melts away the targets' flesh in the illusion world (Tayuya on Shika).

I don't know...they kinda sound specific to me.

Quote:
I think when people start to look at it as a genjutsu people will see it isn't some all-powerful move that most percieve it to be. For example, if Kishimoto switched around the genjutsus used by Itachi and Tayuya, while still keeping the potentcy of the user in mind (the genjutsu used by Itachi still only had a real time duration of 1 second), I bet people would've STILL said Itachi's mange sharingan was all-powerful, awesome, etc., and STILL never mention Tayuya's genjutsu at all. Why? Because the world created by the genjutsu is irrelevant as long as it achieves the desired purpose, and also of course because Itachi is popular and Tayuya is not. Food for thought.
No. People have high praises for Tsukiyomi simply because it is a world completely controlled by the user unlike all other genjutsu not no matter how scary they are. And don't eat bad food...bad for your brain.

Quote:
edit: Oh yeah, also Itachi states that only another natural sharingan user is immune to the mange sharingan,
No. Not only did Itachi not say this, Sasuke, "another natural sharingan user," certainly wasn't quite so immune to it the two times it hit him, no? Itachi told Kakashi only one with true Uchiha blood and Sharingan can actually resist it. What this implies in my interpretation is that only another user with Mangekyo Sharingan who can also control the Tsukiyomi world will have a chance to win in it.

Quote:
fits into the theory of it being genjutsu since the sharingan can see through genjutsu (given the potency of the sharingan can match the potency of the genjutsu).
For the last time, it IS a genjutsu.

Quote:
There is just too many similarities between the mange sharingan and genjutsu that I don't see what else it could be.
"Tsukiyomi." The move has a name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarl
I was trying to say both parties need eye contact, and that no matter how hard Itachi stared at his opponents eyes that were not looking into his, it wouldn't do anything....So really, it isn't as hard to avoid as you make it out to be.
Ah, you were going with the good ol "don't-look-into-his-eyes" theory. Hmm...well, if the opponent can fight blindfolded and still keep up with Itachi's speed, then yes, this would work. But then again, it isn't as easy to pull off as you make it out to be.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote