View Single Post
Old 2013-01-21, 06:27   Link #927
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I suppose it may be interesting to do a comparative analysis of the nature and presentations of these two shows and speculate why one is more popular than the other, assuming they do in fact aim for and reach the same target audience in Japan. (If I were to guess, I suppose marketing is some of it (including particularly the writer involved), along with the art style, age of the characters, and overall themes. The fact that Psycho-Pass is anime-original may also work in its favour in some regards.) I certainly agree that some dark/disturbing shows have sold well in Japan (one could argue that Madoka is a prime example of this, though perhaps it's a special case in all regards), but these tend to buck the trend. In general terms, I do think it seems to be another sort of niche audience in a community full of niches.
Psycho-pass plays on a lot of established markets that SSY doesn't, markets that are much more 'mainstream' for anime fans:
+CyberPunk (this includes stuff like AR, Holos, etc).
+Urobochi.
+Constant gruesome deaths and violent nudity.
+Guns.
+I repeat, Guns.
+Badass 'Edgy' main characters that enjoy violence.
+Traditional charismatic villains.

It's format is also much, much more episodic (appeals to anime fans) and uses constant 'action' to create false tension (even if it's at the price of believability).
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote