View Single Post
Old 2007-03-15, 23:11   Link #100
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvyniled View Post
There's still TONS of ways this show could go.
A very ambiguous answer betrays a vague and unclear mind. What, exactly, do you mean by "go"? My initial impresson of Geass was that it was a shounen "rags to riches" story with a mecha flavour, but now it's been overburden with a ton of romantic filler we've been told with never bear fruit and the plot frequently repeats itself or goes in a complete circle.

In December, I said Geass was the best anime of 2006/2007. Now it's not even worthy enough to be flushed down the toilets of Studio Deen; the plot is riddled with outrageous implausible events that seem only possible by relying on coincidence or plot armour, the supreme idiocy of certain characters and the iron-hard sterotypes only serve to aggravate an intelligent or experienced viewer.

At this point, Geass has become more of a joke/harem love-dove show than an actual epic depicting a young man bearing his own revolutionary arms and seeking revenge. Lelouch himself is the only saving grace of this show thus far; everything focusing around him and his reactions to everything around him are downright fascinating, and without him Geass would be a diarrhaetic travesty.

This is why it would be natural for me to be pleased with the "Sayoko being close to Zero all along but not knowing who he is only to learn his identity and Lelouch and Sayoko experience flushes of surprise"; it's easily potential awesome for Lelouch, and Sayoko as well; she's my favourite character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvyniled View Post
I'm not exactly sure what is being pissed away, since Geass has not been revealed at all, and several key players have yet to be introduced. And they're baiting us real well into believing that the conflict is already calming down, when many many things could go wrong.
Geass was originally pitched as a ladder-climb; Lelouch killing Clovis was the first rung, and controlling all of Japan the final rung before switching ladders. Right now, Lelouch's climb has slowed so much it's implausible that he'll just jump nine or ten rungs up to "conquest of Japan"; Cornelia is still alive, his allies are growing uneasy, Schneizel has arrived, he's got personal problems that are trivial from the world's perspective, and he's letting those problems affect his vertical progression.

In sum, the short has stagnated, or "dragged". A LOT. Nothing feels epic anymore and even Zero's theatrics have died down, such that a lot of the mysterious/enigmatic appeal to the character have been deflated by his mundane and clumsy reactions/movements.

Right now, I couldn't care for C.C.'s past, Shirley, Suzaku, or Euphemia; I want to see Lelouch primarily and have the lives of those other characters be secondary, not central. CG is Lelouch's story; he is the main character. By promoting people like Suzaku and Euphemia to main character status, the focus on Lelouch has dulled and now the series feels so utterly superficial/contrived it's chocking the entertainment sector of my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
The show is still fabulous.
I'm going to attempt to break down "fabulous" into bullet points so that you can elaborate. My questions included below are not meant to be leading.

1. How is Geass ground-breaking?
2. If not ground-breaking, how does Geass improve on established stock situations/characters?
3. Is the artwork original/refreshing? Explain.
4. Is the sound-track original/refreshing? On what basis are these attributes founded on?
5. What of the voice acting? Can you draw comparisons?
6. Describe the animation quality; do you feel it to be higher than other shows? If so, which?

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-03-20 at 01:18. Reason: lof -> lot
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote