View Single Post
Old 2009-03-13, 14:31   Link #162
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by weksa View Post
Something to add on to the talk about Ami, though it's fairly obvious (points 1+2):

(1)
R: "Besides, you'll disappoint everyone if you leave. Everyone adores you..."
A: "...Actually, I'd be happy if it wasn't everyone."

Sure it's interesting to ponder her feelings about Ryuuji (and Taiga), but that acknowledgment also shows the striking contrast between when she first arrived and now. Previously, she put on that facade to please everyone. Now she doesn't even care about everyone anymore, e.g. she refuses to model for the school uniform pamphlet because she no longer cares about pleasing everyone.

(2) Segueing into this next point, there's also the contrast between how she reacted to modeling for the school uniform pamphlet vs. "modeling" for Taiga's chocolates. She does it for Taiga. Like some of the previous comments, this makes me lean toward thinking that [the quote in #1] is not so much about Ami's romantic feelings for Ryuuji (or perhaps lack thereof) as it is realizing how special Ryuuji and Taiga are to her.

(3)
A: "I watched Taiga get hurt and understood her pain. I thought that, since I understood her, I'd save her if no one else did, or something like that. Now I realize that everything would sort itself out if I left."

Questions:
(a) What is Ami's understanding of Taiga's pain, specifically?
(b) Is this pain something that Ami has similarly experienced, or is it just that Ami recognizes it with her amazing perceptive abilities?
(c) What's the "everything" that would sort itself out, the relationship mess, right?
(d) And how would Ami's leaving solve that? Or actually, the better question would be, what is it that would sort everything out? She realizes she doesn't need to help Taiga because some factor will do it... what is it? That there's no way in heck the situation will remain the way it is? That an explosion is bound to occur, as per the one at the end of this episode?
For (a):
At the core, I think it's the pain of being lonely. Other element perhaps being in love or just having an affection for someone who's clueless to it. More to the point, she didn't seem to be the kind of person with many friends before this. She likely 'knew' a lot of people but I doubt she was actually friends with anyone before going to the new school.
(b) She recognizes where her similiarities are with Taiga.
(c) Yeah, she felt that she's been more of a bother than a help, 'getting in their way'. Her efforts to try and assist backfiring on a few occasions. Classic example of interference not always working out.
(d) Well leaving the situation would 'let it go its natural course'. But not really, she's already gotten herself too involved.

Her efforts have had an effect, even if she wishes to deny or ignore it.

And that explosion has happened, with the aftermath coming up in the next episodes.