View Single Post
Old 2012-12-27, 18:23   Link #31529
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I think that is one of the points that goes along with Umineko and is at least what I can draw from it as a creative resource. In terms of riddles you have to know the level of knowledge your opponent possesses in order to create a fair challenge, but reality does not provide fair challenges. That is why I also think that Umineko has a lot more to say about fictionality and literary fairness than commenting on the moral question of these.

In that sense it is largely different from 'An Offering to Nothingness', more on that later though. Ange even says that no matter how many countering truths people create in the end, she will create her own Golden Truth and keep her family with her, she does not condemn the witches in the end, she merely says that she will no longer commit to being their plaything. In the end, she creates as much a 'fantasy' or a fictionalized account of real events as the witches do, only her version is her's and her's alone.

Coming back to fairness. Fiction can be fair, that is correct, but reality will not care for playing fair, providing you with clues and hints. But where "AOtN" flat out denied mystery fiction as a form of entertainment, Umineko goes for the fictionality of everything by claiming that reality is always just a construction from the imperfect knowledge we have of the completeness of existence around us. That is why I enjoyed Chiru just as much as the first four arcs, because it played with that and even took it a step further.
I'll be fine if your reasonement were to apply solely to Ange. Prime is the real world to her but there's no red truth in it and therefore she can doubt of whatever truth she's presented.

Actually, I wouldn't have minded if Umineko had been a story about how truth can't be reached in the real world if it hadn't tried to involve me in a game about finding it and then had refrained from giving me clues. Ironically Ange has more clues than we has at least about Prime as she had read Eva's truth and has likely the official info about the crime and possibly some extra info she might have discovered.

But what seems unfair to me more than not being told what happened in Prime is the gameboard. There are things you can't simply figure out.

Sure, once I know the truth I can build my golden truths over whatever theory I like but that's not really a game between me and Ryukishi as I can't check his answer and he can't check mine unless I don't post them in a place he'll end up seeing (and I don't really think he checks all the Japanese blogs/web/journal/whatever about Umineko).

In short it stops being a game between the two of us and becomes a solitaire only, at this point, I can twist rules so that my answer will work.
Like writing a fanfic about a series that had been left unfinished.

Now, I wrote MANY fics about a certain series that had been left unfinished and it can be funny but when I started Umineko I was under the belief it was a complete work.

Quote:
In classic mystery fiction the angle of the legend-motive was used by the culprit to spread suspicion into every possible corner and push attention away from him or herself by using a well-known supernatural narrative. In Umineko it rather seems to be that one person (guilty or not) tried to gather all guilt into him/herself to give life to a supernatural tale that did not exist prior to this.
Undoubtely, as far as I'm involved, Umineko has some very interesting points. There are some things of Umineko I totally love and... there are some other that I don't like and that I find bordering on poor writing.

I guess it has to be expected as Ryukishi isn't one of the world's best writers so he can make mistakes so maybe it's unfair to expect a perfect work from him.

Quote:
In that way I understand why it is often compared to 'AOtN'. You can read this plot synopsis (part of it was taken from a Japanese blog because I didn't remember all specifics) if you want.
Spoiler for An Offering to Nothingness:
Thank you a lot for the summary, it was definitely an interesting read and now I really wish this were to be translated in my language...

And yes, it definitely has some common elements with Umineko that would make it an even more interesting reading.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote