View Single Post
Old 2012-12-29, 23:14   Link #31533
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
Well, it's possible, but so's anything else. Such is the nature of a cat box.

That's easy; gold truths are a "consensus" as Ange says in EP8 - something accepted by the majority regardless of whether it's actually true or not. Even though there's not anything to actually prove it, one still has to use it as a foundation for reasoning, because most people won't accept your reasoning if it goes against the established consensus. For example, you could say that things such as the Shkanontrice theory or the existence of a Rokkenjima-Prime is a golden truth for most of the Umineko fanbase. It's not been confirmed in red, but we probably wouldn't be able to take a theory seriously if it denied one of these premises, so they are a foundation upon which reasoning is built even though they haven't been objectively established.
I wouldn't say the golden truth is consensus.
Didn't Ange use it to affirm Battler was still alive? I doubt the consensus was he was, expecially since Bern had just declared him dead in red.

Beato the elder used gold also to say that what MoeBeato did was magic and we know Erika would have declared it a trick (actually she had explained in that same episode how that trick worked)

Gold seems more personal belief, which can match with the red truth or not, which can be shaked by an opposing red truth or stay firm.

Interesting enough I like to link blue and gold truth to Bern and Lambda.
To turn true the blue truth you might have to go through tons of possibilities, which is what Bern does when she search for words for her miracle.
Interesting enough this reminds me of when Battler compared the blue truth to a machine gun and began tossing them one after the other.
For the gold truth to be true for the person that uses it, you need determination, a certain will, which is what Lambda rewards. And, if your determination is strong enough, your gold truth for you is surely true even if the red truth says the contrary.

At least that's my theory.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote