View Single Post
Old 2011-05-14, 09:37   Link #86
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
It's still an axe that's almost impossible to conceal if it's of any significant size.
Boarding axes are quite handy and small, some are even the size of climbing picks. It can be almost as short as 60cm. Daggers are concealable by nature (she can hide it under her sleeve, if it is a stiletto), and that cutlass is locked in her school locker, not hand carried.

Quote:
Tasers work better and have a contact mode if you need be.
By the time you switched you are already dead. Also, if the spring fails to eject, or if the contact head hits but the circuit dies, good luck.

A taser is a pretty risky weapon - if the needles don't go through the cloth, the guy will be very angry. If the person is sweaty, you risk short-circuiting the taser.

Quote:
What about them they're knives, they're of high quality, but nothing more.
Quote:
These aren't magic and in fact a constant problem has been that NONE of them have had the blend of properties that make metal so useful namely you can't sharpen, mill, stamp, etc it.
Manganese, molybdenum and chromium all add to the different qualities of the steel. The micro-serrated edge turns a slash into a sawing motion. I took the concept from the serrated blade part of the SOG multitool, a cute little toy I was issued with during my army days.

And besides, I never said the weapon was foolproof. Where did you get that from?

Quote:
Yeah... no, acutally it works more like this.

"The enemy struck from cover, lunging around the corner in a desperate grab for the rifle. The muzzle swung to meet him, but the burst was a moment too slow the rounds gouging the concrete floor as the attacker grabbed and cleared the weapon off him in the nick of time. A struggle ensued as the men wrestled for control of the weapon for a moment before the attacker yanked the weapon away in seeming triumphant... a moment before several shots rang out. The rifle clattered to the floor as the assistant staggered backward and collapsed from a half dozen 9mm slugs perforating his torso."
This isn't a movie. IRL, I dare you to try storming a house with only your rifle without a bayonet attachment.

Only the Taliban are dumb enough to struggle for the weapon. Smarter soldiers would have thrown a punch at the bridge of your nose, reached for your sidearm, hooked your leg and flipped you down, or even worse, if he grabs the barrel he is going to press it under your neck.

That is why a knife is useful. It prevents the attacker from trying to grab you, get closer than he already is, or make any random movements because he is going to get himself cut in the process.

Quote:
It's called a SIDEarm for a reason, a SWAT officer would NEVER pull a knife and try to stab a suspect if he somehow got a hold of his gun, and SWAT teams are what you should thinking of becasue technically these people are LAW enforcement, which by the way is another serious issue with bladed weapons which in the case of a large sword or axe are MORE lethal then guns.; if you cleave into someones torso with an Axe they're DEAD, or if you hit an arms you just frikkin' amputated that limb. "Police cleave suspects limbs off with battle axe" isn't exactly a good headline.
A sidearm is considered a secondary weapon. Some troopers carry sub-machine guns or PDWs instead of a pistol because it simply doesn't have the range or suppressive capability.

Also, how are you going to reach for your pistol when your master hand is already holding your rifle, but letting go of the rifle means the asshole is going to sock your face in with the butt? A knife, on the other hand, can be handled at no matter what position as long as you can reach for the hilt - overhand is thrust, underhand is stab. At a range of half your entire armlength, NEVER slash. Three basic rules of knife-fighting.

Finally, hand-to-hand combat is brutal and uglier than you think. Like any form of fighting, it is either he/she goes down permanently, or you do. And when someone goes down permanently, he/she is usually dead, or K.O.

Quote:
Now having said all that... I don't really mind this character as a concept. It's silly, but the setting is basically "action movie" and crazy melee fighters are a staple of that, but I'd get away from the technobabble stuff and just talk about the what, not the "how". It's one of those things that if you try to explain it just seems dumber. Like in Black Lagoon, by not even really acknowledging the super human feats a certain level of suspension of disbelief is maintained. When you go and try to somehow overly explain it, it just ends up amounting to either A. "its magic" or B. "That would NEVER work"
The next time your local armed forces have an open house, go there and watch the urban combat operators. "Realism" is nothing more than a "perspective" to them - if there is a way to get it done, it will be done.

This isn't magic. I have seen equipment being built and used like that. And they are usually custom made, incredibly rare and cost a bomb. The only thing to mitigate the cost factor is either by gift, hand-me-down or in most cases, DIY.

Quote:
So my advice is either A. just make the swords/users outright magic or drop the technobabble stuff and just have them do this silly stuff, but don't try and explain it with junk science.
Who are you? J.J Thomson and his pudding atom?

If you want junk science, look for intelligent design. That is not what I am talking about here, I am talking about MATERIALS SCIENCE. Also, Isaac Newton was proven wrong that his Laws of Gravity don't work for something that has no mass; light can be bent, but photons have no measurable mass - nothing is impossible in science because anything can be built with a plan, acquisition list and design.

If you are looking for someone to flame to assert your superiority, you are in the wrong place. If you want to prove me wrong, show me a real scientific experiment done that it is impossible. Don't just throw around your "it cannot be done" and just leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Irokane...is not as common as you think it is. I doubt that anyone in the world holds that large an amount of it.

Especially not a B rank. Irokane is the most destructive/powerful and rare metal on the planet.
Irokane-steel alloy?

Chemistry 101 : As long as it is a metal with a malleable nature and non-liquid, it usually can be alloyed or plated/coated around something. It is due to the nature of metallic bonds - all you need to do is to rule out a base metal to work with and the properties you want it to have, and mess around with the composition until you get what you want.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-14 at 09:58.