View Single Post
Old 2011-04-20, 08:33   Link #5
Genten
has a custom user title

I live near the hub of Michigan's artictic/cultural town (or so I've heard) of Ann Arbor so people there seem to naturally know about art forms and cultural details from all over the world. It doubles as being a college town, with Eastern Michigan University and the University of Michigan being near there. So, while I don't make a habit of polling people on the streets, I'm fairly certain that a large percentage of the populace know what anime/manga is (or has at least been exposed to it).

Where I live exactly, though, is definitely not like Ann Arbor. Aside from EMU, which takes up most of the city, Ypsilanti is fairly small and people tend to keep to themselves. So I'm fairly certain that people around here don't know what anime/manga is, aside from those that frequent the local comic shops (for such a small town, we have quite a few).

Now, as for Detroit. . . well, they do have Youmacon (anime convention) at the Ren Cen every year but I can probably guarentee that most people won't have heard of anime/manga.