View Single Post
Old 2011-07-25, 16:21   Link #5793
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
They not only protected people but they gave their lives for world peace. I know they might have done it unwittingly but they managed to be martyrs. Is it really their misfortune ... probably but many of them outlived Lelouch in the end so I think they wont complain much.
On the contrary, the soldiers Lelouch Geassed were used to help him conquer the world and to oppress people, Britannia included (i.e. their own people). Lelouch was a martyr for peace 'from a certain point of view' but history will revile him as a tyrant, and one would realistically* expect all his Geassed soldiers to be seen as accomplices and tried for war crimes (draw your own real world parallels), given that the world at large is ignorant of Geass. Martyrs they may be, but it will be for the side everybody hates.

Also remember that Lelouch destroyed large parts of Britannian culture, and since those who served him were Britannian soldiers, they were forced to do the exact opposite of what a soldier is supposed to do. That is, harm their own people and directly aid in the destruction of their own culture.

As for outliving Lelouch, this is likely moot as there is nothing to indicate that they were freed from his Geass control, meaning they would be mindless puppets until they die. One could argue that from a certain viewpoint, they effectively 'died' the moment Lelouch used his Geass on them.

Though you are technically corect (the best kind of correct) in that they wouldn't complain, as they would lack the free will to do so, but their families, friends, and loved ones would likely suffer a great deal.

* Yes, this is a deliberate nod to one of Xander's earlier points about realism in the series.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote