View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 15:30   Link #291
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I thought they were using compressed natural gas that the gear burned through a high-pressure nozzle to propel the hooks, then expelled the excess gas through the back to cool the system. Guess not. I'm assuming the author is just sort of glazing over the technology a bit, like how it wasn't really explained how the full-body straps help them stay oriented and balanced.

But if it's using compressed gas to power the 3DMG like a kind of high-powered paintball gun, wouldn't the range of their grappling hooks be gradually reduced over time, as the pressure within the canister becomes less and less? [enter rant about poorly thought-out mechanics]

Personally I was expecting a more steampunk/gearpunk function to the 3DMG (way back before they explained that it required gas), and that it would have worked with clockwork springs or something mechanical that they could reset physically, rather than something like... a gas tank. The fact that characters are always forced to worry about their gas supply is frankly more irritating and distracting than it is tension-inducing.