View Single Post
Old 2013-02-24, 18:34   Link #68
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Why should Basch have been the main character? It was Ashe's story and struggle, she was the real focus of the tale.
Because the original story was based on Basch, until they decided their fans wouldn't be able to relate to a middle aged man as the main character, and then they made Vaan and shoehorned him into the story, and removed all aspects from the Basch-centric plot they originally were going with, which is why Vaan is the only FF protagonist ever with zero bearing on the story.

In other matters, I've heard the chatter about how companies simply can not make full featured games like the early FFs, due to the graphics being too time intensive, and I don't believe it. At all. Companies pop up left and right to make MMO worlds with modern graphics. A modern FF would only be different in having a far tighter leveling curve tied to a far more robust plot than the typical MMO.

That said, I also can't fathom how it took SE so long to pump out 13, which probably must have earned a record for most time and money spent for least gaming return. So, maybe the seemingly super-inefficient machine that SE has become (at least in regards to the FF franchise) really isn't capable of it. /shrug

I really don't know what was going through the head of whoever thought up FF 13. It's like they went out of their way to not make a FF game, which is fine, but then you shouldn't call it FF. Names mean something. It's also interesting to see characters get fewer and fewer as we go through each FF 13 game, further showing whoever is in charge doesn't seem to understand the types of things long-standing fans loved about the series.

Anyways, back to X, I'm honestly starting to think of it as vapor ware (the HD version). Unless I'm being far too cynical and they're really re-doing everything. I figured it'd be like any other HD port that should have taken them a few months, at most, to do.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote