Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-02, 18:13   Link #4825
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
See, that's why cops think they can get away with killing an innocent person. The worst that can happen to them is they lose their job and go to jail for a certain amount of time. I don't agree with this because cops tend to think that because of their position as law enforcers, they are above the law. That can change from country to country, but nonetheless, it doesn't give them a license to kill. Would the family of the person who died be happy if the killer was set free after doing time? Would you? I know I wouldn't. The killer needs to know what it's like to be on the receiving end of the bullet, in which case, a life sentence doesn't cut it either. That being said, the death sentence is, imho, appropriate.
Prisons aren't a nice place for anyone, let alone former cops. Besides, no matter how you look at it, if the cop pulls someone over, then shoots the person when they're reaching for their wallet, it's manslaughter, or at most second degree murder. There's no premeditation on the part of the cop, which is generally required for a first degree murder charge. There is a reason manslaughter usually carries a lesser sentence than murder after all. We're still talking between 5 and 20 years in prison in the US, depending on various factors. It isn't simply letting them off with a slap on the wrist.

Of course I oppose the death penalty in all cases except for mass murderers or serial killers who would likely kill again if they were to somehow get out of jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think he means that if a cop is going to shoot someone, it'll be less trouble if he makes sure the shootee isn't around to complain afterward.
Ah yeah I see it now. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about there.