Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-02, 18:18   Link #4826
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Prisons aren't a nice place for anyone, let alone former cops. Besides, no matter how you look at it, if the cop pulls someone over, then shoots the person when they're reaching for their wallet, it's manslaughter, or at most second degree murder. There's no premeditation on the part of the cop, which is generally required for a first degree murder charge. There is a reason manslaughter usually carries a lesser sentence than murder after all. We're still talking between 5 and 20 years in prison in the US, depending on various factors. It isn't simply letting them off with a slap on the wrist.

Of course I oppose the death penalty in all cases except for mass murderers or serial killers who would likely kill again if they were to somehow get out of jail.
A lot of times, that's not true. At least in Italy, people who're in jail have a TV in their cell, they don't pay for their food. Although the conditions are rough, it's not like the conditions aren't tolerable. You're just living in a jail cell and you get to socialize with your inmates. For killing someone, regardless of how long you're stuck in there, doing time is still too light a punishment, especially 5 years. Manslaughter isn't so bad? Tell that to the family of the maslaughter victim. At the very least, a life prison sentence is warrented, and I'd even go as far as saying they should be spent in isolation. I doubt anyone would want the kind of person who can just kill someone randomly out on the streets just because he can.