View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 03:16   Link #31994
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Spoiler for Size!:
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah. The only thing restricting stories are particular parameters set or the limits of imagination. So either tons of happy Fragments exist but just don't meet the parameters of anyone in the story who searches for them, or happy Fragments can only exist if someone imagines them... and given what Featherine says in Dawn about the number of Endless Witches growing with time, this seems to be inevitable.

Bern's claim to Lion is the only statement that suggests the certainty of tragedy, and we know that Bern is a manipulative bitch who is perfectly willing to selectively filter her searches and use half-truths to torment people. Literally everything else implies that infinite means infinite.

Moreover, if we include Featherine/Ikuko's statements about writing (which I did not, but they exist), it pretty much confirms that fiction can create infinitely. The only thing that restricts Beatrice's stories is her own intentional setup of the catbox. This allows her to create an infinite space in a finite reality (Prime). If we ignore this rule and start going AU, nothing can possibly stop us from doing whatever we want.
I don't deny the possibility of 'Lion's happy ending'. Obviously, if you think hard enough and change key decisions/events over the last 19, or 30 years, you can achieve almost any result, endless results.

What I question is: Does any possibility/theory/development anyone can come up with result in a Fragment in the Sea of Fragments?

This Sea is Bern's workplace, a supernatural place. The inner works of it are not known.
Just someone imagining Lion persuading the family to be good guys results in a fragment with a happy ending? Does this fragment appear in the Sea for Bern to be able to find?

I want to know how to be sure of this jump: one imagines -> fragment appears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode 6, Ange on Magic
"...A result without an observer can possess an endless number of ways in which it might have occurred. Humans, who can't grasp anything more than a single possibility, are unable to imagine anything."
"However, people who believe in the possibility of a witch can imagine that it was a witch's prank. When that happens, the scene of the Beatrices' prank that we have just seen is etched into the Fragment as a fact..."

So Fragments are affected by imagination, basically, which also suggests that variants on Fragments are Fragments unto themselves.
Literally, this kind of means that if someone wants to believe in fantasy, a fantasy fragment is possible, with witches running around and causing incidents. (which is pointless, imo)
I think this quote is more aimend at 'interpretation'. If you want to believe it was a Witch who did it, so be it, but that doesn't make it a real and possible world, nor that it'll be possible for Bern to find a fragment like this.

Last edited by theacefrehley; 2013-03-02 at 04:45.
theacefrehley is offline   Reply With Quote