View Single Post
Old 2011-05-30, 13:48   Link #69
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Ko is a very understated character in this series, and given the setting, very undeveloped and perhaps even unappreciated. What a lot of people don’t realize is that even in his absence, he is the major personal crutch of Ohana. Ohana thinks about him a lot, about his belief and opinions, and perhaps even more telling is when she wonders how Ko would react or assist in her situations. When Ko called her up to ask about her and where she is, it instead becomes an avenue for Ohana to again ask Ko for advice. For someone who once strove so much to be independent and capable, she relies on him a lot more than she realizes. What was supposed to be a chance for him to reconnect with her became a debriefing session, ending up with Ohana finding courage to continue on and thanking her best friend from the bottom of his heart. By helping her he sacrifices his opportunity to be with her and speak his mind. By giving her advice he somehow pushes her farther away. By being a great friend, his chance at romance goes down the crapper. Poor bastard.
I refuse to see it like that. I mean, I know that, on some level, you're right. But to me, what was supposed to be a chance for him to reconnect became a chance for him to reconnect. Instead of going there and meet her and... what? they once again started speaking. She relied on him. She took the initiative to call him without debating the decision for days. That's why I want to see it as a chance for him to start his counterattack. Against Ohana's unreadiness, against the circumstances that separated them.