View Single Post
Old 2012-01-15, 13:16   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Sigh, I get the feeling next week's gonna be the same with Hitagi and Hanekawa in the spotlight. Will we actually have to wait another 2 more weeks for the plot to kick in?
Yeah, my take on this episode is basically a mix of what you wrote, and what Reck wrote. It's not the fanservice, per se, that bothered me about this episode, but rather the lack of a cohesive plot (as far as I could tell, anyway).

I do agree with you, though, that the Karen OP was indeed very impressive. That was a nice treat this week.

Rather than simply reiterating much of what Reckoner wrote, which is very close to my own take on this episode, I've decided that I'm going to ask folks familiar with the Nise novel some questions so that I can properly adjust my expectations for this series.

Going into Nise, this is what shaped my expectations:

1) The blurb in the Winter 2012 season preview for it. This made it clear it would focus a lot on Araragi's sisters.

2) The PV. This made it clear it would have better visuals than Bake (which it has successfully delivered to its credit) and also more fanservice than Bake.

So, going into Nise, I was basically thinking:

Bake + Better visuals + More fanservice + Much more focus on Araragi's sisters = Nise

That's what I came in expecting.

However, Nise hasn't quite matched those expectations. While Bake was always character and dialogue-driven, it did have actual story arcs. It did have a plot, and it wasn't what I would consider a slice of life show, or a show that was pure ecchi. There were serious problems that had to be solved, and some real conflicts took place.

These conflicts/plots weren't the main reason I watched Bake, but I felt that they added to the sense of purposefulness that permeated the show. Bake was slow-paced but it did feel like character and plot development of lasting relevance was steadily occurring.

Honestly, I'm not getting that feeling with Nise so far. It was no big deal after just one episode, but after two, I was hoping we'd have more plot than just some vague hints of problems going on at the school that Araragi's sisters attend.

So, with all of this being said, here's my questions for fans here who have read the Nise novels:

Does Nise have a plot to it? Is there an actual conflict? Another supernatural threat of sorts for Araragi to grapple with, perhaps?

Or is this more of a pure, straight-up ecchi romcom where we just watch Araragi go from one sexually tense situation to the next to the next to the next?

I'm not saying that Nise is necessarily bad if that is what it is, but if that is what it is, I'd like to know that now so I can adjust my expectations going forward.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can answer my questions here.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-01-15 at 13:27.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote