View Single Post
Old 2013-11-04, 23:52   Link #154
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darigan Xweetok View Post
Finally somebody accepts the facts! When people say " anime is not cartoons" because of the different style, and storylines, I put that down to lack of research, common knowledge, and ignorance. It is nothing but propaganda and pseudo-science. And when people persist with the misguided belief that anime and cartoons are " different" that's just parroting the drivel. Sadly people would rather parrot the otaku propaganda drivel than accept real semantic fact. Yes, I prefer the term " anime" over " cartoon" for Japanese animation, but I do not deny that anime is and always has been a subset of cartoons and that they are not disjoint, whether people like that or not.
I disagree, but I've never equated "cartoon" with "hand-animated work". I've equated cartoon more with the comic strip-influenced shorts from early Disney, Tex Avery and stuff that has evolved along similar lines; things that have a very distinct method of working and a fairly similar tone. For example, I'd say Lupin III (1971) is a "cartoon", but I'd not say Ghost in the Shell (1995) is a cartoon.

I'm not trying to state facts about the meaning of certain terms. I just think 'cartoon' has a more specific connotation than just "something that is animated", when said in casual conversation. Of course in any serious analysis about different approaches to animation I wouldn't like to see (or use) any of these loaded terms like 'cartoon' or 'anime'. 'Animation' is good and clear-cut.
As I said before, you're here to 'enlighten' people with facts that aren't really correct or precise, because if we wanted to be anal about semantics, we would eradicate nebulous terms like cartoon.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote