View Single Post
Old 2010-12-05, 01:15   Link #19418
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Actually, in that red guts scene, we don't see Yasu at all, just Genji and Nanjo.
My bad, I think I mixed the scene with Beatrice 2 right before with Yasu's; however, two big points still stand:

1. She's meeting Genji and Nanjo. I don't think she had spoken this casually with them before solving the Epitaph. Also, unless my impression is wrong, this seemed to have taken place in Kinzo's study.
2. Right after the scene in which Yasu met Kinzo, she never displayed any sort of furniture complex. What's more, she was still saying she'd wait for Battler.

Quote:
This would mean telling an elementary-age girl that she has to act like a boy, and hope that she not only decides to play along, but never slips up or tells anyone your secret. That would be an incredible risk. In other words, if Genji is scheming something, he can't let Yasu in on the scheme until she's a bit older and comfortable living on the island. And he'd have to let her in on some secret to convince her that she was born a boy.
I don't understand your point. If I'm understanding it correctly, your idea is that Genji and Nanjo probably put a penis in order to convince Yasu's she's a boy, right? So, if she thinks she's a boy, why would she slip up? That doesn't make any sense. Also, putting a fake penis on a girl won't make her brain suddenly start releasing androgens in the same way that a real boy would. She'll still be getting oestrogens and progestogens in the same fashion a girl does, once she hits puberty. Genji and Nanjo have no way to tell the effects those will have on her. For all the know, she could end up with a very feminine figure, especially with things like big boobs, which would be rather hard to hide.

Quote:
That's not exactly what Kinzo says though. He says that Yasu reminds him of 'that mother and daughter', or Beatrice 1 and Beatrice 2. Genji does once say "she solved the epitaph all by herself" before Kinzo tells Lion that she's his child, but every other line in that section refers to Lion as 'the child', not the son or daughter. While Beatrice 2 is referred to as Beatrice 1's daughter.
My bad again, I read it on a different way. Anyway, why would Kinzo expect a boy's voice to resemble his (the boy's) mother's, even less his face? Also, if Genji wanted Kinzo to think of her as a boy, why dress her as Beatrice? Yasu basically lived her whole life as a girl, even by the time she met Kinzo, she was dressed as a woman. I don't see how posing as a man would factor in any of these.

Moreover, why are you assuming Genji wanted Yasu to be the next head? All Kinzo wanted was his child - Beatrice's child. As long as he could meet his child, that was redemption for him. In addition, this is Beatrice's child we're speaking of. Do you think he'd really care about her sex? This will come down purely to opinion, I know. Personally, I think he wouldn't.