Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-11, 07:49   Link #260
wisteria233

Episode 2 was better than episode 1 in that it was slower pace so it was easier to take in the world.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 2 Comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Kurapika hearing Matthew scream was removed for a future plot point. Keep in mind that Matthew is out of the city when he's attacked by a beast--but Kurapika hears him. As a future arc suggests though, Kurapika doesn't have that ability. Rather, one of his allies (Melody) does. It was retconned because it's sort of a mistake in the source material.
Actually that wasn't a retcon. Your forgetting something very important. The characters never went along Masshu's route, so they never saw what happened to him only heard it. They also never said that Masshu wasn't in city anymore or how far he got before he was killed, so Kurapica hearing Masshu dying doesn't create any problems with the story, and it certainly wasn't retconned. All it really means is that Kurapica's senses are better than Leorio's and they are.

Quote:
Just because characters are hand drawn doesn't mean I can fault them for not being on model. Heck, the manga is hand drawn too. And the special that showed the Madhouse animators drawing the series confirmed that the 2011 version is at least partially hand-drawn. Future episodes manage to get it right--even the following episode of the 1999 show had great art. But the team assigned to episode 4 of the 1999 version simply weren't good at drawing.

I may not be discussing the backgrounds in detail, and I agree with you that they're superb in Nippon Animation's adaptation. The studio has always excelled in that department at the very least. But I can't say that the new backgrounds are "lackluster"...if anything, I think that Madhouse manages its colors better (whereas Nippon Animation took the risk of incorporating really dark blacks with brighter colors to create a piercing contrast gradient, which added to the mood of the series and made the background art beautiful). Because of digital animation, the backgrounds are sharper and more detailed as well. I think judging them boils down to a matter of opinion. I think both are spectacular, but the reasons why I think so are different.
The scenes were all still digitally made so you really can't compare it to the 1999 adaptation which was all hand drawn. I also want to see your confirmation that the 2011 Madhouse version was hand drawn because this is the first time I've heard it.

Quote:
Gon's vision is supposed to be an unbelievable feat though--it's extraordinary. Despite complaining of the darkness, Leorio's vision is arguably better than Gon's in that scene--he sees the bump on a creature's arm while he's wearing sunglasses. And it still doesn't change the fact that Leorio left his patient while a dangerous creature was supposedly out to murder the latter. It goes against what his character stands for; truthfully, I think that the 1999 series often goes to great lengths to make sure the viewers think that Leorio is less talented than he actually is.
Leorio is not a fighter he is a doctor, and in the 1999 version he never left the patients side either.
Spoiler for York Shin City arc:

It actually seems more like your trying too hard to find fault with the 1999 version, and sometimes even up being factually wrong. I know you're upset about people comparing the two versions but you have to understand the Nippon Animation version was good and not only that but exceptional to the point where is considered one of the best anime series of all time, despite its faults, so its a hard act to follow. And no nostalgia has nothing to do with it, as I've come across plenty of people who have recently watched the 1999 version and have admitted to it being one of the best anime that they've ever seen for many of those people it actually changed their minds about filler episodes (the fact that you have to know exactly what happened in the manga to be able to tell them apart from canon events should be telling enough) because of how on point it was in terms of characterization (and even the changes and additions they made--even though they weren't overt-- would later on fit in anyway in later arcs- making any complaints in this area moot). This is a world of difference between this and FMA whose first adaptation did its own thing and ended up with an end result that is best described as YMMV, because in this case if someone hates the 1999 version then chances are they'll hate the manga and subsequently the 2011 re-make too. Right now Madhouse either has to do better than the 1999 adaptation (which will be hard) or go home. Your gonna have to get over this fact because that's the truth.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-10-11 at 09:05.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote