View Single Post
Old 2009-04-19, 15:45   Link #55
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ever heard of the Stalin's Wagon? The range of the rockets could probably reach the edge of Seoul, and North has got plenty of those.
It's highly debatable if katyushas have the range to hit Seoul. They certainly lack the accuracy to do much damage. Unless you're referring to something else?

Quote:
Yes I also included artillery missiles like the Scud and FROG SRBMS. With chemical warheads they can prove to be fatal.
They can be intercepted by the patriot family of missiles. Patriots have been refined since 1991 when they saw marginal success against Iraqi scuds fired at Israel and Saudi Arabia, and at the ranges we're talking about here, the North Korean scuds shouldn't break up as frequently as the Iraqi scuds did, something which greatly limited the patriot's effectiveness. Frogs shouldn't have that issue at all.

As for using chemical weapons, that's a great way to get a bad end for the North. The US may consider using nukes in response. North Korea's chemical sites are going to be high proprity targets too, so unless they use them quickly, they might not get a chance to at all.

Quote:
Besides it isn't just about the size of the gun, it is also about the chamber reaction and the shell that allows it to reach its desired range.One example would be ST Kinetics' Pegasus 155mm Howitzer. it is lightweight and small yet it can throw a shell over 30 kilometers when others of its caliber could only do half its distance (e.g - US's M114 155mm Howtizer has a max range of 14.6km). Most artillery use jet-assisted shells to hit longer distances, and the payload is pretty free-for-all, could be high explosive, chemical, thermobaric, etc. Another thing is that Korean is not a signee of the submunitions treaty, which means that they can use beehive rounds to shred people to pieces.
There's only so much you can do to extend the range before you simply need a bigger gun. I highly doubt the North's 155mm and smaller guns are going to be hitting Seoul from their positions on border. Of course I'm sure there are civilian population centers closer that they certainly can hit with those, but they'd be more effective used against border fortifications. Of course I fully expect the North to focus on causing civllian casualties rather than pure military effectiveness i hopes it'll stop the enevitable.