View Single Post
Old 2011-12-01, 09:59   Link #206
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
But you're right, I misread 'Seikai-kei' as something else my bad... But the gist is "a weak, powerless boy and a strong-willed girl with powers/talents/abilities." right?
It's hard to catch the concept in a single sentence. It's not so much physical power as a description of the characters.

What matters most is the relationship between two individuals which decides the outcome of events. Everything else comes second. The main character is weaker (emotional and/or physical), more ordinary as it were, but is pivotal to events and the "other" is the overall stronger, more proactive character but in some way is dependent on the main character.

Evangelion is the most famous example, as Shinji is a weaker person than Rei, Asuka or Misato (although they are all pretty messed up). However he is the key to the outcome of the instrumentality project and his decision on the ultimate fate of humanity has been formed in his interaction with the "other" (Rei, Asuka or Misato). In essence the interaction between ""me" and "you" determines the "world". Outside influences don't matter. The Angels, the Evas, the military, Nerv etc. are all irrelevant.

Another example is Eureka 7 where the future of coexistence between mankind and Coralians is judged solely on the relationship between Renton and Eureka. Again both characters have a mutual dependency with Eureka (for the most part) being the far more capable character.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote