View Single Post
Old 2009-05-21, 12:28   Link #76
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
It's mentioned in the Q & A thread, but I'll just briefly answer your question. There are aircraft, but they are very rare and it seems that the focus of technology is on the tank and aircraft (all types) got the short end of the stick. In other words, all money and effort were put into tank (and anti-tank) development and research. So tank technology is actually more along the level of the mid 1940's and aircraft technology is stalled at somewhere at pre-WWI levels...
In other words, what we have here is apparently a collective failure to fully grasp the possibilities aircraft represent. Once someone gets that 'aha!' moment (Pearl Harbor, as I understand, was such with respect to naval aviation), I suspect analogues of the Il-2 Shturmovik, P-39 Airacobra, or G-model Ju-87 Stuka (the first two can be called spiritual ancestors of the A-10 Warthog) will be developed and fielded in short order, much to the great advantage of whoever's first onto the proverbial ballpark...
To amplify izmosmolnar's comment about WW1: aircraft were initially fielded as observation platforms; attempts to counter this led to the first fighters; and bombers developed from there (Germany used zeppelins as early strategic bombers, as I recall).