View Single Post
Old 2011-10-13, 22:46   Link #44
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
I get what you mean Haladflier. I do notice I have that "Idol" view towards Jpop. I think I'm so used to listening to "serious" themed western music that I like to listen to a totally goofy sounding Jpop song. But I do like that they seem sparkly or colorful.

lol, I've mostly only listened to SAWA and some similar styled anime songs. I think this is the Idolization you're talking about?

Jrock can be pretty sweet though. What I've heard of both Jpop and Jrock seem really refreshing.
Guess that's expected and totally not your fault! But you should check out some other J-pop too, if you can, there's actually such fantastic stuff out there. My favourite artists include Fukuyama Masaharu (guy in sig/avi set), Hirai Ken, B'z, Mr. Children, and Kobukuro (all of them just regular pop/rock artists). I think they all do their own songwriting/composing

J-rock is awesome but I think J-pop needs more exposure (apart from the idol groups I mean). J-rock is pretty popular outside of Japan, it seems, and for good reason, I'm just mystified by the lack of mention on other J-pop-ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
From my observation, J-rock and J-pop put more effort on the instrumental than western rock music. They are willing to use other instruments than typical and more popular instruments for some experimentation.

One thing I like with J-pop is that they don't make use of autotune bullshit way too excessively so far. I'm not really into it, only anime op and ed so I wouldn't know if there are some artists using that.

Another thing I liked is that they always seem to have some solos. They are not always necessary but make the songs better.
SO TRUE. Although I wouldn't fully agree about the instrumentals, I know it's true for some artists but not everyone. Again, it depends on what kind of Western rock you're talking, since I immediately think of Iron Maiden and Kamelot

Artists that actually know how to play instruments = good sign. Artists that often sound even better live (and can actually sing) = also a very good sign. Both of these, you can find in J-pop!

Wow, I feel like I'm advertising for it or something (I'm such a fan...)